1. Who can people trust in Maycomb, Alabama? Identify your first impressions of Dill, Calpurnia, Jem, the narrator (Scout), Atticus and the Radleys.
2. What are some essential family values and family history that have shaped the people in this community?
3. What behaviours are acceptable in the Maycomb community? What behaviours are not acceptable in the community?
4. Which characters inform Scout about proper behaviour? How do these characters tell her to act?
5. What is Walter Cunningham like? What does his behaviour during lunch suggest about his home life?
6. Describe Miss Caroline's interaction with Burris Ewell. What does this suggest about Miss Caroline? What does this suggest about the Ewells?
7. What do you think of the way Atticus treats Walter?
8. Does Scout learn anything from Walter's visit? What do you think this is?
9. Atticus says that you never really understand a person "until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." What does this mean? What does this lesson suggest about Atticus?